Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Eating and Fibromyalgia

Over the last year and a half since I was diagnosed with Fribromyalgia, I have made many changes in my life, including in my daily activity and in the foods that I eat.  My body has continued to become healthier every day, though there were a few set backs.  I have now raised my medication for the second time, and find myself really starting to focus on how what I eat affects my symptoms. 

The basic guidelines for individuals who suffer from Fibromyalgia are:
- Glutton/yeast free
- Dairy free or only processed dairy (cheese and yogurt)
- Artificial sweetener free
- Any nightshade plant free (potatoes, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, etc)
- Focus on lean meats
- Food additive free
- Sugar fee
- Caffeine free (yes this includes chocolate)
http://www.webmd.com/fibromyalgia/guide/fibromyalgia-the-diet-connection

Of course as you read the literature, they point out that not all Fibromyalgia patients need to apply all of these rules to their diets, but these are the categories that most dietary changes fall under that Fibromyalgia patients have found significant in decreasing symptoms.  Again the joy of Fibromyalgia is that it generally affects each of us in different ways.

For myself, I have already made the following changes to my diet.  I generally have very little dairy and will use almond milk as an alternative.  If I have cheese though, I go for the real thing but cut back the quantity and take a lactaid pill.  I try to keep my glutton intake to a minimum. I still have 1/4 cup of oatmeal in the morning and noodles in my soup at lunch.  Occasionally I have some for dinner in the form of a pita or roll. 

I really try to avoid artificial sweetener except for in the gum that I chew, and I generally focus on eating lean meats.  I have basically cut the caffeine down to just a few times a week for soda, though, I still have a little chocolate daily that is on my Fiber One bar.  I have cut back on sugar, which has been a natural part of my overall change in lifestyle and diet.

However the nightshade plants are a killer.  I love potatoes and sweet potatoes.  I have even grown an appreciation for a good tomato.  I mean what is better then fresh mozzarella and tomatoes (I know, two bad foods for me)!

However as my waist line continues to decrease, but my medication goes up, I am starting to realize that more sacrifices are ahead.  Sigh!

No comments:

Post a Comment